A second income accelerates your journey to financial freedom. You will be able to afford to pay off your student loans and your mortgage faster, increase your investment portfolio, and save for family goals faster. With a little extra effort, you can work full time, while making extra money on the side. Earn extra money after work with the second income job ideas below.
“Work hard on your job, you will make a living, work hard on yourself, you will make a fortune” Jim Rohn.
Many moms are making huge money by selling homemade soap on site like Etsy, Ebay, Facebook Market Place and Amazon.
Natural living Ideas has various very popular soap recipes. Check them out here. Most of their recipes from everyday ingredients like lemon, coffee, oranges and oils.
- Consult an experienced tax attorney about the requirements like LLC registration, federal tax identification and sales tax permits
- Sign up for a membership ( for a fee) with Handcrafted Soap and Cosmetics Guild, you will be able to get affordable liability insurance to protect your business and your personal assets.
- Ingredients needed for soap -making include soap molds, colorants, fragrances and essential oils, fats, oils, lye, packaging material etc.
Can you be a virtual assistant part time & earn money?
- You can do Virtual assisting as an independent contractor. However, an independent contractor, is considered self-employed and will have to pay self-employment taxes. Working as an independent contractor gives you more flexibility.
- You make your own schedule, choose your clients and set your rates. Virtual assistant is one of the best online jobs for moms out there.
What does a virtual assistant do?
- Many entrepreneurs run home and internet-based businesses. They need Virtual assistants to help run their tight ships, assisting them with administrative work, web designing, web developing, book keeping;Making social media graphics and managing their social media accounts like Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- You will have to find the clients yourself, set up the business and pay self -employment taxes. However, it is easy and relatively cheap to set up the business. Items you need include a high-speed internet connection, a cellphone, a computer and maybe a website to market your business.
- Do not limit yourself with the kind of clients you take on. You can charge by hour, by task, package plans, and monthly plans.
- Different clients have different needs. Some clients need help with making pins, pinning and scheduling them on Pinterest/Facebook/Instagram and book keeping.
- Some clients only need help with making pins, doing the pinning/managing themselves. While other clients need help with everything from making pins, pinning, managing email marketing and managing, updating and interacting with clients on social media accounts.
- Virtual assistants charge up to between $50-100/hr depending on the workload, what type of clients they work for, expertise of the Virtual Assistant etc.
- There are different ways you to market your VA business. Through social media, email marketing, guest blogging opportunities, public speaking, distributing flyers & brochures, joining online forums.
- Many Virtual Assistants offer less costly but top quality services in exchange for testimonials from their clients as a way of marketing themselves.
- Good work ethic is a must, keeping deadlines, computer savvy, know your way around simple graphic designs, have good communication and organization skills as many people depend on your services.
Make money from walking dogs
Between working full time, long commutes to and from work, car pools, soccer and drama practices, making dinner on time, getting children to be early enough, many people hardly have anytime left to walk their dogs.
The average pay for walking dogs ranges anyway between $ 13-20/ One mom I know makes $ 1000 a month walking dogs; she gets in a good exercise as well.
Below are a number of websites and apps that offer dog walking jobs.
- Little Paws Dog Walking
- Second City Pet Care
Yes, that’s a way to earn a side income. Many elderly people living alone need company; will gladly pay you to walk with them a few hours a week.
Studies show that a number of elderly people living in Assisted Living and Nursing Home facilities are lonely. I know of someone who has a full time business walking with the elderly from these facilities.
She goes to these facilities, picks up elderly people, sometimes two elderly at once, (if they are not wheelchair bound). She talks to them, they stroll around the town,( She does not drive them i her car) pick flowers, drink coffee, eat ice cream at the cafe, etc. Such a walk lasts around 1-2 hours a week.
Some elderly have these appointments twice a week. This “little” encounter is a highlight in the life of these people. They look forward to their next appointments. The immediate families of the elderly foot the bill.
Some elderly people do not have their immediate family members nearby, they need someone to escort them to doctor’s appointments, physiotherapy sessions and other places. You make good friends and get in a good exercise while doing what you love.
Running errands for the elderly is another great way of making extra money. Normal errands you and i do on a regular basis. For example grocery shopping, cleaning homes, doing their laundry, mowing lawns, etc.Many elderly have healthy challenges that result in impaired movement.
Put out flyers advertising your services at community centers, grocery stores, doctors’ offices etc. Moms who this side job charge up to $25 per person per hour.
Depending on where you live, you will need a police clearance report, since you will be working with vulnerable people.
As a freelancer, you work from home, tasks include writing articles for bloggers and online websites, editing and proofreading, online tutoring, data entry, graphic designing to mention a few.
Depending on the freelancer’s experience and quality of their work, freelancers for bloggers make between $200 to $800 for an article of 1,500 – 2,500 words. All in the comfort of your own home. All you need is an internet connection & a computer.
Advertise your services on these websites:
- Problogger jobs – very popular with bloggers
- Facebook groups
How do you get paid for your services as a freelancer?
Some service providers request full payment upfront through PayPal or credit card, while others do not mind payment after delivery of service. Clients acquired through websites such as iwriter and fiverr require payment to be through them, funds are released to the service provider once the buyer approves the order.
This system protects both the service provider and the buyer. I use both iwriter and Fiverr, i am very pleased with their systems.
How to earn a second income shopping for Instacart
Becoming a shopper for Instacart is a good way to earn extra money, deliver groceries to customers. There is no one micromanaging you.
It is flexible, you dedicate your own working hours, take breaks when you need to. The pay depends on your work ethic, lots of opportunities to grow.
Instacart partners with Kroger, Costco, The Food Emporium, Whole Foods and many others. However, Instacart no longer have a partnership with Trader Joe’s.
A dedicated Instacart shopper can make around $1,500 a week. You choose your convenient schedule. Lunch and dinner rush hours pay significantly more.
Ubereats is a fast growing meal delivery service. It is an easy way to make some money on the side.
You basically pick up customer meals from a restaurant and deliver it to the address of the customer who ordered.
A Driver can make up to $12/hr. Lunch and dinner hours pay more than the other times of the day.
How to make extra income delivering for Amazonflex
With Amazonflex, you deliver packages from Amazon warehouse to customers. It is a great side hustle to make extra money.
You will make the same amount of money per hour, however, the pay varies depending on time of day and how many packages you load at a time. Some drivers make between $ 18-25/hr.
Do you have a passion in making crafts and jewelery? Many moms are making good money on Etsy – the Ebay of handmade crafts through selling homemade crafts and other DIY products.
As all other businesses, you will need to take care of the legal side of things before starting. Here is an extensive article on how to start a jewelry business. Who knows, with time you may start your own jewelry line.
Check out garage and estate sales, for unique, cheaper antique items, give them a polish, resell them.
Purchase stuff that is on sale from yard sales, thrift stores, outlet shops, then resale for profit on Ebay. Ebay is one of the largest online selling sites.
Take clear cut pictures of your merchandise, from all angles, lighting and clear background are equally important.
There are two ways of selling on Ebay. Through auction style listing, where buyers bid on an item for a period of time that you set. You can also set a fixed price listing. Take a look at your high rated sellers to how they do it.
Ebay get percentage when your fixed price item or auction sells. Ebay gets around 13% cut of the final paid price including shipping. However, PayPal charges 2.9% in addition to a 30 cent transaction fee.
Items like purses, handbags, jewelry, mobile phones, shoes, brand name children’s clothes, gardening tools, garden furniture, fitness related stuff, sell more often.
Download the Ebay app on your phone, search for a broad keyword like jeans in the completed listings. Filter the price to the jeans that sold for $35 or more, take pictures of logos and study brand names .While you are in thrift stores hunting for merchandise, you automatically know the stuff that has a high resale value.
For example in the jeans category, gently used brand name jeans from True Religion, Lucky Brand, Hudson, 7 for All Mankind, Citizens of Humanity sell very well. Keep an eye on latest fashion or technology trends on social media, then sell those trending items on Ebay.
Can you offer free shipping on eBay?
Usually the buyer pays for postage, Some sellers discreetly add shipping charges in the overall price. For example, you could either sell a pair of Hudson jeans for $34.99 plus 4.99 shipping, or you can charge $40 with free shipping. The latter looking more appealing and will most likely result in a sale. It is a psychological thing.
I know of a seller who prefers Fedex because it is cheaper than USPS & UPS within the United States. The heavier the item, the cheaper it is using Fedex.
Reputation is everything on Ebay. Customers tend to buy mostly from sellers with good reviews. Sellers go out their way to rectify any issues regarding their products to avoid bad reviews from buyers.
Go to ebay.com, set up an account, click sell your item, create a listing for the item you intend to sell. Confirm your details, then add your preferred form of payments. A number of sellers use PayPal. With PayPal you receive the payment and a notification that in your account immediately.
When a buyer does not make payment immediately after making a purchase, you will get an awaiting payment notification in the seller hub. Alternatively, go to My Ebay, go to orders then select Awaiting payment to see pending orders.
How much can you sell on eBay before you pay taxes?
According to TurboTax, you are required to file a 1099-K form if you have more than 200 transactions and earn more than $20,000 in gross sales from Ebay.
Beware of empty box claim. The buyer completes the purchase, then you send the item without a problem. A little while later, the buyer contacts you accusing you of fraud because they received an empty box. The buyer will return the empty box as per Ebay terms, and you will refund the money.
One way to nip this in the bud, is to use tracked postage. It may cost you a little more, but you will save money and your reputation in the long run.
Request for signature delivery proof for expensive items to avoid experienced scammers. They claim the item was lost in the mail, then claim a refund.
Share with us in the comment section, the second income ideas you and your family/friends have.